Deb Wiley, the Planting Queen, is an award-winning professional garden writer living in Des Moines, Iowa.
She’s the daughter of fifth generation Iowa farmers, a certified Extension Service Master Gardener, Friends board member of the Friends of the Des Moines Botanical Center and garden editor for 10 1/2 years at Midwest Living magazine. In 2008 she won a Silver Award from the Garden Writers Association.
Detail-oriented, high-energy, award-winning, consumer-focused writer, editor and creative project manager with magazine, newspaper and public speaking experience. Key skills include clear communications, in-depth interviewing, editing, hiring and managing freelancers, art-directing photo shoots and relationship building.
Current and Recent Accomplishments
- Project editor and writer, Better Homes and Gardens Rose Gardening, 224-page book, December 2010, Wiley (see: www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/
- Writer/producer for a variety of magazines including Better Homes and Gardens Garden Ideas & Outdoor Living, Country Gardens, The American Gardener, etc.
- Vice president and newsletter editor for Friends of the Des Moines Botanical Center.
- Winner of 2008 Silver Award, magazine writing, Garden Writers of America.
- One of 4 North American writers selected as a guest of the International Bulb Center, The Netherlands, April 2009.
Writer/producer of print and web articles. Art director for photo shoots. Clients include: Proven Winners ezine Proven Beauty; Zelenka Nurseries; Bailey Nurseries Endless Summer e-zine; Better Homes and Gardens Garden Ideas & Outdoor Living magazine; Better Homes and Gardens Landscape Solutions magazine; Better Homes and Gardens Country Gardens magazine; Better Homes and Gardens Deck, Pool & Patio; The American Gardener; Iowa Gardening; DSM magazine; Triangle Gardener magazine; Cornell College Meredith Integrated Marketing clients Century 21, Publix, Juicy Juice, Lowe’s. Various public speaking engagements.
Reach me on the comments box or email to debwiley (at) hotmail.com.